Vashon Cemetery History
The Vashon Cemetery was incorporated April 3, 1888. The first two acres were purchased from Frank and Clara Miner (Sec. 1) -- members of the 'second wave' of white families to settle on Vashon in 1878 (one year after the first group). A second 1-1/2 acres was deeded from Charles O'Keefe. The first burial on the island was not in the cemetery but east of here about a mile along now Cemetery Road when Mrs. Julian Morehouse died in 1879. The first burial in the cemetery proper, though prior to the cemetery being incorporated, was L. Ross Carpenter (Sec. 2) who died in October 1886, son of L.R. and Charlotte. Next burial after incorporation, was Mary Gilman in 1891.
The “Memorial Monument” central granite pillar was unveiled on Memorial Day 1921with a ceremony attended by over 1,000 people. The pillar was produced by Pacific Monument and Cut Stone Works of Tacoma for $415. Each of the four sides are dedicated to veterans of: the Civil, Spanish American, and World War 1914-1919, and the fourth to The Unknown Dead.
The north rock wall and pillars with bronze tablet, fronting Cemetery Road, were built in 1929-1930 by A.D. Urqhart and partially funded by the local D.A.R. and dedicated on March 25, 1930.
King County Cemetery District No.1 formed in 1976, provides cemetery operation and maintenance. An elected, three-member Board of Commissioners governs the district.
A plaque near the gate honors three past cemetery district commissioners who passed away while in office: Yoneichi Matsudo and Thomas Garretson elected July 13, 1976 and George McCormick elected 1984.
VASHON CEMETERY STATS:
Acreage: 10.98
Burials before 1899 & earlier: 24 Burials from 1900-1910: 15
Burials from 1911-1920: 80
Japanese surnames: Approx. 62
Most frequent surnames: Johnson (30) Nelson (28), Anderson (25), Olson & Hofmeister (22), Hansen (20), Thompson (19, Petersen (17)
Burials from 1900-1910: 15
Burials from 1911-1920: 80
Japanese surnames: Approx. 62
Most frequent surnames: Johnson (30) Nelson (28), Anderson (25), Olson & Hofmeister (22), Hansen (20), Thompson (19, Petersen (17)
District Commissioners
Position One
1976-1983 Thomas Garretson; 1984-1987 George McCormick; 1987-2001 Richard Shride; 2000-2011 Tom Lorentzen; 2012-2024 Jay Hanson, 2024-current Catherine Sullivan
Position Two
1976-1985 Yoneichi Matsudo; 1986-1995 Charles Barrentine; 1996-2001 Larry Higley; 2002-2004 Susan Yates; 2005-2016 Tim Lafferty; 2017-2019 John Kimble; 2020-current Tony Puz
Position Three
1976-1979 Charles Barrentine; 1980-1985 Robert Russell; 1986 Mary Boot; 1986-1991, 1998-2003 Patrick Green; 1992-2007 Sharon Nicholson; 2004-current Lisa Devereau
History Bibliography: Nancy Ewer, author of Vashon-Maury Island Re-Addressed and Vashon Maury Island Trees. Thanks to Laurie Tucker, Bruce Haulman, and Lisa Devereau, for their assistance


“Memorial Monument” central granite pillar was unveiled on Memorial Day 1921

Dedication by DAR members of the stone wall March 25, 1930 Mrs Ira Case, Jessie Harrington Beall, Grace Beall, Mrs Lewis Cass Beall Sr, Mrs Bourck, Mrs Frank Gorsuch, Nellie Parker Jones, Mrs Charles Forbes, Lulu Meads, Mrs Lincoln, Blanche Mattson, Mrs Emil Miller, Mrs HA Stanley, Mrs Van House Sr, May Whitfield, Mrs Woods and the bugler is Junior Shallenburger. (Four persons are either not noted or are obscured in back row.)

G.A.R. Vets, 1890, Vashon Two together standing far left, left to right: Lawrence Cristman, John Markham; Four together in back row, left to right: Byrd Jacobs, Sal Sherman, Caleb Barton, Adam Cristman; Front row left to right: Abram Cassler, Moses Snow, Issac Rees, George Lindley, Daniel Price, James Pruitt, Adolph Sanrock, ElmerVan Olinda, Jerome Cutler, Mark Waterman

Stone at cemetery enterance dedicated to Commissioner Yoneichi Matsuda
Stone garden at cemtery enterance dedicated to Commissioner George McCormick